Lithuanian Sashes - reduced price and free shipping, while quantities last.
- An important figure in Lithuanian Folk Art in the diaspora is Uršulė Astrienė. She was prolific not only in straw art, but also in decorating Easter eggs. Raimundas Marius Lapas writes (in Lithuanian) in the Chicago newspaper Draugas about her amazing lacquered Easter eggs.
Lapas rašo apie Astrienę
- Danutė Mileikienė gave a fascinating presentation at our AGM last year, called The Flax Journey, the story of how linen is made. Read it here:
- Remigija Smolskis wrote this informative article about Felting, “vėlimas”, one of the oldest variants of natural textile work:
- LTFAI Board member Kristina Pavilanis wrote this article for Bridges in 2016 about maintaining your costume. A must-read for anyone who owns a national costume. Be proud of it!
Caring for the National Costume
- This fascinating article appeared in the Lithuanian Airlines Magazine in 2005. A whole new world! A Cut-Out World by Jolanta Paškevičienė (in English)
A Cut-Out World
- Juzė Daužvardienė, Honorary Consul of Lithuania in Chicago and Lithuanian cookbook author, was instrumental in popularizing straw art, “šiaudinukai”. This article from Draugas tells the story.
Šiaudinukų plėtra JAV
- The master crafter of straw art (šiaudinukai) in the US was Uršulė Astrienė. Here is a series of articles about her work.
Astras articles for LTFAI